Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Mother Shock

I just finished reading a great book that a friend, and fellow mom, recommended to me. It is called “Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It” by Andrea Buchanan. After reading it, I can see why my friend recommended it! It is a great book that takes a different look at being a mom.
Mother Shock is a collection of thirty essays that Andrea wrote about her transition into motherhood. Some of the titles include “Fear of the Double Stroller", “Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Playgroup," and “The Invisible Woman”. The essay “Sleeping Like A Baby” had me laughing out loud. This book is really an easy and enjoyable read that reassures us that it is ok to have bad days and to not love every single minute of being a mom (I mean, who really enjoys changing 5 poopy diapers a day?).
A quote from the author’s website www.mothershock.com explains the book like this; “Mother Shock asserts that being conflicted about motherhood may in fact be a perfectly normal response to the identity shift inherent in becoming a mother—and reassures those of us who were made and not born mothers that the journey to embrace motherhood is acceptable and possible, even if we don't love every minute of it.”
If you go to the website you can read a couple of the essays from the book.
~Happy reading! Tricia
p.s. I’ve had a different kind of mother shock over the last couple of days. Like Kirsty, my baby just turned one on Sunday. I still can’t believe the year went by so fast!